Bagneres-de-Luchon (also called Luchon); nicknamed the "Queen of the Pyrenees"; stands 13 km from the chalet.Busiest town in the Pyrenees, it is a spa town linked to the ski resort of Luchon-Superbagnères, located in the neighboring village of Saint-Aventin, by a gondola lift.
Luchon is located in the Pyrenees, 50 km southwest of Saint-Gaudens near the spanish border, in the south of the department of Haute-Garonne.
To the south, the mountains form a natural barrier. To the east, it is linked to Val d'Aran and Spain by the Portillon pass and to the west with Larboust valley and beyond to the Louron valley by the Peyresourde pass; one of Tour de France's favourite!
The city is more than two millennia old. The presence of people living in caves in Saint-Mamet is attested at least since Neolithic. The presence of megalitic alignements and cromlechs (megalithic monument) testify a very old occupation. They both have been registered as Historic Monuments in 1889.
PLACES OF INTEREST :
- Saint-Étienne of Barcugnas chapel, whose Romanesque door from the twelfth century is registered as Historic Monument since October 7, 1931
- Our Lady of the Assumption church is a Romanesque Revival style building built between 1847 and 1857 on the exact spot of the former Romanesque church. The wall paintings are from Romain Cazes.
- Thermal baths, built between 1854 and 1858, woose wall paintings of its great hall have been registered as Historic Monument October 6, 1977
- Three nineteenth century villas are fully or partially registered as Historic Monument : villa Edward of neo-gothic style, built in 1864, villa Pyrene and villa Santa Maria. Villa Santa Maria (or Naryshkin) was built around 1840, its neo-Palladian street facades welcomed princess Naryshkin, related to the russian Tsar, and Alexandre Dumas fils.
- Roofs and facades of the three Spont's chalets, built between 1848 and 1855 are also registered, as Charles Tron residence built in 1854
- The Casino built between 1878 and 1880 with brick-stone in a classic historicist style and expanded with the addition of Art Deco decor to the front facade in 1929. Its park was designed around a piece of a serpentine lake with an artificial cave. The park, the to lodges at its main entrance and the Normand lodge have all been resgistered as Historical Monuments in 10 May 1999.
- Eighteenth century's Château Lafont was also registered March 2, 1927 and is inner stairs June 9, 1931. It houses the museum of Luchon's countriside and tourism office.
Luchon also welcomes regular events:
- The Television Creation Festival in february.
- The Festival of Flowers in august (established in 1888!)
- The Lyric Encounters Luchon.